Good nutrition is an essential part of overall health for anyone. Not having access to nutritious food can result in reduced energy levels, decreased ability to fight illness and disease, and other serious health problems.
For seniors, a healthy diet is essential. As we age, our metabolisms naturally slow, and our bodies’ ability to process nutrients becomes less efficient. Consequently, research has suggested that the nutritional requirements of many older adults actually increase as they age. In addition, nutrition is particularly important in helping prevent or mitigate the effects of some age-related health conditions (such as osteoporosis). For individuals taking prescription medications, being mindful of nutrition is critical, as some drugs can affect their ability to absorb nutrients.
FSL's Meal Programs Make Healthy Eating Easy
At FSL, we recognize that many factors can affect seniors’ access to healthy food, including lack of transportation, financial concerns, chronic health and/or mobility issues, and more. To address this gap, we offer several different meal programs, all of which are designed to meet the nutritional and lifestyle needs of our clients:
- Daily Congregate Meals are offered at both of FSL’s Senior Centers. These hot, nutritious meals are prepared with input from registered dietitians/nutritionists to ensure that they contain essential nutrients for seniors. What’s more, these congregate meals provide an opportunity for seniors to socialize and participate in activities and events at the senior centers while enjoying their food.
- A modest donation of $3.50 is suggested for each meal, but FSL will never turn away anyone for lack of funds. If money is a concern, reach out to learn more about how we can help.
- Meal Delivery Services are available to individuals who are homebound or who lack transportation. For both clients and their caregivers, this can make an immense difference in their overall quality of life. Clients receive regular deliveries of nutritious meals straight to their doorstep.
- FSL’s Food Pantries are open to anyone in the community living below the poverty level. Regardless of age or financial circumstances, we firmly believe that no one should have to suffer from food insecurity or hunger. Our food pantries are run by friendly volunteers and are even stocked with special foods for the holidays.
If you or a loved one is suffering from inadequate nutrition or hunger, we are here to help!
Established in 1974, FSL is dedicated to providing integrated, customized care for those who need it in the Phoenix area. We offer a wide range of home- and community-based services, including:
- Affordable housing options
- Nutritious meal programs
- Health & Wellness programs
- Senior centers
- Recreation programs
- Support for caregivers
These services are designed to enable Arizonans of all ages to live happier, healthier, more independent lives. So, if you or someone you know is struggling to have their needs met, don’t hesitate to contact us and find out how we can help you. And if you’re looking to give back, consider donating or volunteering your time to our mission. We can’t wait to work with you!