This November, Help Us Celebrate National Family Caregivers Month
When we think of November, we often think of shorter days, Thanksgiving traditions, and the inevitable busyness of the holiday season. However, many people don’t realize that November is also National Family Caregivers Month, a time dedicated to acknowledging the sacrifices and impact of caregivers, as well as working to increase support for caregivers.
What Is a Caregiver?
A caregiver is anyone who provides care to a family member, friend, or neighbor who cannot live independently or perform activities of daily living—typically on an unpaid basis. The reasons and circumstances around caregiving vary widely. For example, some people may only require short-term caregiving support while recovering from an illness or medical procedures. In contrast, others, such as individuals with mobility issues or patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia, may require indefinite or years-long caregiving support.
There’s no one single caregiver job description. Caregiver services vary widely depending on the needs and abilities of the person being cared for. Services may range from occasionally helping with errands or chores around the house to assisting individuals with essential daily activities such as bathing, eating, and dressing.
Someone You Know Is a Caregiver
Caregiving is much more common than many people might think. As of data released in 2020, around 50.3 million adults in the US (more than one in five people) were acting as caregivers for adults or children with special needs. In Arizona, the number of family caregivers for dementia patients alone (not to mention other diseases or conditions) is estimated to be around 257,000.
FSL Is Helping Take Care of Caregivers
Caregiving can be time-consuming and stressful, and it’s not unusual for caregivers to experience negative effects on their physical and mental health. Moreover, many caregivers find themselves thrust into the role without adequate preparation or support.
At FSL, we understand how essential caregivers are to the well-being of the people we serve and how taxing the act of caregiving can be. As such, we offer several different caregiver support services, such as:
- Caregiver Education: led by our expert staff, this multi-part educational series is designed to help caregivers provide better care for their loved ones while also looking out for their own well-being.
- The Caregiver House: this facility, located in central Phoenix, hosts trainings, demonstrations, and resources for caregivers. It also offers opportunities for caregiver self-care and rest.
- ReCreación: our adult recreational day care services provide caregivers with much-needed respite.
- Care By Design Program: Care By Design offers individualized caregiving solutions to clients and their caregivers, including connecting clients to community resources, home safety assistance, caregiver support, and other in-home and community-based services.
🎉 Family Caregiver Celebration Events
We will have mini-workshops, door prizes, activities, resource connections, and dinner provided at no cost (eat there or take home to your family!
Established in 1974, FSL is dedicated to providing integrated, customized care for those who need it in the Phoenix area. We offer a wide range of home- and community-based services, including:
- Affordable housing options
- Nutritious meal programs
- Health & Wellness programs
- Senior centers
- Recreation programs
- Support for caregivers
These services are designed to enable Arizonans of all ages to live happier, healthier, more independent lives. So, if you or someone you know is struggling to have their needs met, don’t hesitate to contact us and find out how we can help you. And if you’re looking to give back, consider donating or volunteering your time to our mission. We can’t wait to work with you!
To learn about FSL nutrition programs, click below!