Approximately 87% of Americans who need long-term care receive it from informal, or unpaid, caregivers. It can be financially, physically and emotionally draining to care for a loved one. However, there may be some relief in sight. The Family Caregiver Reimbursement Program recently announced new family caregiver reimbursement program details for those that need home modifications and assistive care technology to enable their qualified family member to be mobile, safe and independent to avoid institutional care.
Starting January 1, 2020, family caregivers can be reimbursed 50% for home modifications and assistive care technology up to $1,000 for one (1) or more care recipients. The qualified family member must be 18 years or older and requires help with one (1) or more activities of daily living. Funding is limited and is distributed as first come first served. Note: This program is not a financial assistance program.
• The family caregiver must be the qualified family members’ spouse, child, grandchild, stepchild, parent stepparent, grandparent, sibling, in-law, uncle or aunt including half blood or by adoption.
• Home modifications and/or purchases for assistive technology must occur in the same calendar year (on or after January 1, 2020).
• Applications will be reviewed on a first come first served basis upon submission due to limited funding.
• Family caregivers who receive reimbursement are not eligible to apply again for three (3) consecutive calendar years.
• For reimbursement over $600, a 1099 tax form will be issued by the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) to the family caregiver and is considered taxable income.
Applications and program details are available starting January 1, 2020 by speaking with a Caregiver Resource Specialist at (888) 737-7494.
Should you need assistance caring for your loved one, contact FSL’s Care by Design program at 602-285-1800. We can create a customized care program to meet the needs of your family member.