Volunteering with FSL
April is National Volunteer Month in the United States. It’s a period dedicated to honoring and celebrating the incredible impact that volunteers have made by contributing to worthy causes in communities across the nation.
The Importance of Volunteering
National Volunteer Month is also used as an opportunity to promote volunteerism, and to encourage people to get involved if they’re not already. It’s sometimes hard to believe that a few hours here and there can make such a big difference, but surveys have found that they do: for example, in 2021, it was estimated that the cumulative value of volunteer time was nearly $200 billion.
On an individual level, science has proven that volunteers have a lot to gain by giving back to their communities. For many people, volunteering provides excellent opportunities for socializing and networking. It also comes with a host of psychological and physical benefits, such as increased self-confidence, decreased levels of stress and anxiety, and a lower mortality rate.
Volunteer Opportunities at FSL
FSL’s volunteers play a huge role in upholding our mission. Volunteer activities include helping with client transportation, working at the food pantry and in meal delivery programs, helping to administer the Emergency Financial Assistance program for those facing COVID-related hardships, and various other duties at the Senior Centers. The effects of volunteers’ time and energy are felt in the support they provide to FSL staff and the direct positive impact they have on clients’ lives.
FSL is always looking to bring on new volunteers who have a desire to make a difference in their community. For examples of some of our volunteer opportunities, as well as information on how to get involved, see below:
- Virtual Food Drive Assistants help replenish our food pantry by shopping our Amazon Smile Wish List which is then easily delivered to us. This is a good opportunity for both groups and individuals using social media skills to get the word out.
- Home Delivered Meal Monitors assist with delivering meals to homebound seniors in the Peoria area. This is a good activity for individuals who can give 4-5 hours per day Monday–Friday, a couple or more days a week.
- Home Improvements Program Volunteers help with minor home maintenance and repair for senior homeowners throughout Maricopa County. This is another great activity for an individual who can donate a few hours a week between Monday and Friday during the workday.
- Activity Hosts organize and facilitate events such as parties, picnics, barbeques, and carnivals at our senior or adult centers, adult group homes, or one of our affordable housing communities.
- Care Companions serve as buddies to a small group of participants at our adult centers, where they assist them with various daily activities, including conversation and games. Individuals must be able to volunteer during business hours, between Monday and Friday. Volunteers must pass a rigorous vetting process.
For more information on these and other volunteer opportunities, contact Nydia Montijo, Community Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1974, FSL is dedicated to providing integrated, customized care for those who need it in the Phoenix area. We offer a wide range of home- and community-based services, including:
- Affordable housing options
- Nutritious meal programs
- Health & Wellness programs
- Senior centers
- Recreation programs
- Support for caregivers
These services are designed to enable Arizonans of all ages to live happier, healthier, more independent lives. So, if you or someone you know is struggling to have their needs met, don’t hesitate to contact us and find out how we can help you. And if you’re looking to give back, consider donating or volunteering your time to our mission. We can’t wait to work with you!